Friday, April 19, 2013

Introduction Post: I've Joined Once Upon a Time VII


I know I haven’t been quite as active online in the first half of 2013 as I have in the past, but I want to clarify that this is not at all because I’m losing interest in blogging.  The truth is, I’m trying to get a doctorate in physics, and it seems like the work increases exponentially as I draw closer to the finish line!  I’m going to escape from this particular bound state in a couple of months, an event which will hopefully be marked by an increase in blogging activity and the sudden appearance of “Dr.” before my name everywhere.

After that point, I will hopefully not post my Women of Genre Fiction reviews on the very last day of each month, and I will have more than one entry in the blog series about new writers that I was trying to start.  In the meantime, what better way to not stress myself out than participate in another reading challenge? Maybe that doesn’t make sense, but I think that this challenge is going to be fun and stress-free!

Carl V. at Stainless Steel Droppings has a history of hosting really fun-looking events to encourage people share reviews in specific genres, and I’m excited to finally get involved. The current challenge, in which I plan to participate, is Once Upon a Time VII.  The time span of the challenge is March 21 - June 21, and the point is to encourage bloggers to share reviews of fantasy, mythology, fairy tales, and folk tales.  While I may be starting late, I am certain I will meet the minimum requirement for involvement, which is reviewing a single work of fantasy.  I even hope to pass Quest the First, which is to review at least 5 works of fantasy before June 21st!

As for what I’m planning on reading for this springtime challenge, let me share my plans.  I was originally thinking Ash: A Secret History would be one of my first fantasy reviews for Once Upon a Time VII, but I’ve since decided that it’s science fiction that just happens to be set in medieval Europe.  It is an excellent book, though, and my review of it is coming soon. So anyway, my fantasy reviews will be as follows (though not necessarily in this order):

A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett: I read this one alongside LittleRedReviewer, OvertheEffingRainbow, Lynnsbooks, Dab of Darkness, and SueCCCP.  Pratchettt’s books always bring a smile to my face, and this review will be coming probably this weekend or early next week.

Six Gun Tarot by R.S. Belcher:  This one is
a wild card.  It’s the author’s debut novel, so I have no idea yet about his style.  However, the whole idea of a Lovecraftian, mythological, steampunkish western caught my interest.

The Shadowed Sun by N.K. Jemisin: The Killing Moon was my favorite of the two books I’ve read by Jemisin, and I am eager to see the conclusion of that story in this sequel.

Throne of the Crescent Moon by Saladin Ahmed: I honestly don’t really know what to expect from this one, but I’ve heard some good reviews of it. Also, it got a Hugo nomination!

Briar Rose by Jane Yolen: This is, I think, a WWII retelling of the fairy tale, so this is the only one that I’m assuming from the beginning fits into a category other than general fantasy.  This is going to be my airplane takeoff/landing book, because I actually own a physical copy (not just an e-book).

I may read more fantasy books than these, but given my current life stressors, I can make no promises.  In any case, I’m looking forward to participating, and looking forward to sneaking a tiny bit of leisure time into my life, so I can enjoy all the reviews from other participants!


2 comments:

  1. Good luck as you near the finish line!

    And your method of doing more while trying to take it easy sounds like exactly the kind of thing I would do. I approve, you may carry on :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! At least reading books is a stress reliever :).

      Delete